Letter from the Editor: October 2019

Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. I heard this from my mom throughout my early childhood, and if you were a picky eater like me, chances are you did too. To this day, my mom still reminds me of my former diet of peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese, and bagel bites. As I grew older, I remember trying different foods at the behest of my dad; I tried tomatoes, refried beans, veggies on pizza, thai food, the list goes on and on. Earlier this year, at the age of 22, I finally came full circle by trying brussel sprouts for the first time, thus erasing any lingering childhood fears of the all-too-often demonized vegetable (I recommend trying them grilled). 

I think my mom’s advice to a young, somewhat malnourished child, applies to those followers of American politics. In the same way that I held dearly to my limited three-item childhood menu, too often we hold dearly to our limited, often undeveloped, political palette. Rather than try something new, we hold onto the familiar. Instead of examining the foundation of our belief system, we simply tend to demonize whatever stands against it—as I did with brussel sprouts. 

With a new school year upon us, we’re happy to bring in an almost entirely new staff of writers. Having gone through a large amount of applications and interviews, we firmly believe that our staff contains some of the brightest and most articulate political minds this campus has to offer. I invite you to thoughtfully consider the messages contained within, and that you too can heed the advice of my mom, because you might not realize what you’re missing.

Thanks for reading, 

Taylor Petersen

Editor-in-chief

The following two tabs change content below.

Taylor Petersen

TAYLOR PETERSEN, Editor-in-chief, is a senior from Southern California. Having spent most of his life in San Diego, he loves being outdoors, preferably in the water. A Political Science major, he enjoys the vast amounts of research and writing that have accompanied him while at BYU. Although he believes himself to be a connoisseur of Mexican food, you can often catch him sneaking through the Del Taco or Taco Bell drive thru. His passion lies in intellectual expansion and the encouragement of meaningful dialogue, which he hopes to continue in law school next fall.

Latest posts by Taylor Petersen (see all)

Taylor Petersen