Letter from the Editor: December 2018

Dear Readers,

The famous Judge Learned Hand once said, “I should like to have that written over the portals of every church, every school, and every court house, and, may I say, of every legislative body in the United States. I should like to have every court begin, ‘I beseech ye in the bowels of Christ, think that we may be mistaken.’” He also said that “the spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right.”

In the Political Review, we write in pursuit of that spirit of liberty. In this issue, our writers explore the migrant caravan, Brazil’s recent presidential election, loan sharks, and more. We have discussed these and many other issues, and I have seen the wisdom in thinking that I may be mistaken. Our writers have diverse opinions and experiences, and their articulate arguments have caused me to feel that spirit of liberty. I hope you will experience the same thing reading their work and that, even if you do not change your mind, you will find your own arguments sharpened by testing them against our writers.

Please enjoy this month’s issue, and, as always, please feel free to submit your own articles for consideration at byupoliticalreview@gmail.com. We also welcome your feedback, which you can submit using the link or QR code on the back cover.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Nick Hafen

The following two tabs change content below.

Nick Hafen

Nick is a third-year law student from Detroit, Michigan. He served an LDS mission in Indonesia and studied Middle East Studies and Arabic as an undergraduate at BYU. He will be doing corporate restructuring work at a law firm in Chicago after graduation. Nick enjoys reading, listening to podcasts, being outdoors, and making things.

Latest posts by Nick Hafen (see all)

Nick Hafen