Three Ways to Get Involved in Provo

Lots of young people desperately want to get involved and volunteer, but do not know where to find these opportunities off-campus. Provo is a wonderful place to volunteer, and there are a lot of ways to become civically engaged and get more involved with issues that affect you every single day! Here are some of my favorites.

1. Vote. This one is super obvious, I know. But it is so important. I talked to countless young people who told me that they were only staying here for four years and that their vote mattered more in their home state. I completely understand that, and I believe them. I planned to live here for four years when I started as a freshman in college, but in the end, I decided to stay. If you are planning to stay in Provo long term and you are able to switch your registration, do it, and vote.
  2. Attend meetings. Go to your local city council meeting. You can even watch the meetings live online if you cannot attend in person! If you are concerned about air pollution, attend the Sustainability Committee meeting. If you are interested in public transit and parking issues, attend the Transportation and Mobility Committee meeting. There are often no residents besides the committee members themselves at these meetings, and there are hardly ever students in attendance.
  3. Volunteer. You can volunteer in so many ways. Add yourselves to committee Facebook pages, to Provo Facebook pages, and attend meetings. Great organizations like United Way need volunteers. Talk to people who have similar interests. One time, I, along with dozens of other residents, stayed up from 10 PM to 1 AM painting the crosswalks on 500 North to make them more visible to drivers so they can slow down for pedestrians. It was such a fun project, and I had a great time hanging out with Provo residents and meeting new people. This project was publicized widely on Facebook, so connecting on Facebook groups in Provo helps a lot with finding opportunities.

There are countless ways to help out in your community, and have fun doing it. Provo needs your voice, your passion, and your willingness to serve!

The following two tabs change content below.